The Sourp Mager Monastery
Sourp Magar Monastery was first founded as a Coptic monastery
around 1000 A.D. and it was dedicated to the Alexandrian saint
It is also referred to as the monastery of Mary. The monastery
passed on to the Armenians at the beginning of the 15th century.
In time, it became a stopover of the Armenian pilgrims on
their way to Jerusalem -a second pilgrimage point- and continued
to fulfill this function until 1974. It was also used as a
summer resort by the Armenians living in Nicosia.
remains date back to the 19th century. A panel with Armenian
writing has been found on its walls.