Venetian Column & Ataturk Square
The granite column in the Ataturk square was erected by
the Venetians in 1550.
used to bear the St. Mark lion. The Ottomans removed the column
and left it in the courtyard of the Sarayonu Mosque. The British
re-erected the column in its present location in 1915. The
grey granite column is thought to have been transported from
a temple in Salamis. The insignia of six Italian families
can be seen at the bottom of the column.
copper globe at the top is a later addition. The buildings
to the West of the Ataturk Square (government buildings) were
constructed during the British colonial rule in early 20th
century. They therefore have a distinct look. There is a fountain
and a platform with the insignia of Britain on the eastern
side of the buildings.
The platform was constructed to mark the coronation of Queen
Elizabeth in 1953. The governor of Cyprus announced the coronation
from this platform.