Nicosia City Walls
In 1567, just before the conquest of Cyprus by the Ottomans,
the Venetians started to build new walls in place of the old
Lusignan walls ringing the city, so as to be able to defend
famous Venetian engineer named Guilio Savorgnano drew the
plans of the walls. The walls have a circumference of three
miles, eleven bastions each like a castle, and three gates.
The walls consisted of earth ramparts with a stone facing.
The names of the gates were: "Porta Del Proveditore -
The Kyrenia Gate" in the North, "Porta Guiliana
- The Famagusta Gate" in the East, and "Porta Domenica
- The Paphos Gate" in the West.
order to build the walls, the Venetians demolished the houses,
palaces, monasteries and churches outside the three-mile circumference
of the city and used their stone in the construction of the
walls. The bastions were named after the nobilities and other
people who contributed to the construction of the walls (Rochas,
Venetians were defeated by the Ottomans before they had time
to finish the construction of the walls.